Senior Optical Engineer
Location : Somerset NJ US 08873
Job Type : Direct
Reference Code : 21139-MM1
Compensation : 130000.00 - 160000.00 USD/YEAR
Start Date : 08/12/2022
Hours : Full Time
Required Years of Experience : 10
Required Education : MS Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering or Physics
Travel : No
Relocation : No
Job Industry : Engineering
Job Description :
- Permanent position for a Senior Optical Engineer specifying, designing, testing, and qualifying optical modules and individual components for use in next generation agile optical networks.
- Additional work in the transmission laboratory to define and validate transmission models and component/module performance and fully evaluate transmission issues relating to specifications on individual components and sub-modules.
- Develop complete specifications for optical components and modules that reflect the downstream components capabilities and upstream requirements for circuit packs or systems.
- Design optical fabric simulations and modeling of optical systems with design and modeling tools such as Zemax and Matlab.
- Validate transmission performance of complete optical transmission systems; conduct experiments to characterize components and subsystems.
- Help develop manufacturing, assembly and qualification processes to build products.
- Troubleshoot optical issues in benchtop and prototype modules, prove proposals for performance improvements and implement solutions.
- Work closely with suppliers to resolve any issues related to performance, qualification status and cost of components.
- Interface with operations team to develop documentation and test processes related to modules.
Required Qualifications :
- MS Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering or Physics, PhD preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years experience with DWDM components and DWDM transmission or similarly complex optical subsystems.
- In-depth understanding of optical transmission issues, especially as they relate to systems with
- intelligent and highly automated optical layers including dynamics of modules and components, fiber propagation issues and impairments from sources statistical in nature such as PMD.
- Experience with design and modeling tools such as Zemax and Matlab.
- Solid understanding of optical performance parameters (bandwidth, IL, PDL, PMD, CD, ripple) and specification sensitivity and interdependencies as they relate to agile optical networks.
- In-depth understanding of optical sub-systems, including wavelength selective switches, optical monitors and dispersion compensators.
- Experience with design and release to manufacturing of complex, integrated, optical subsystems.
- Experience with writing optical design specifications and test plans.
- Experience with a variety of test and measurement equipment including optical spectrum analyzers and interferometers.
- Demonstrated experience with general fiber handling practices and working knowledge of optical coatings and optical component fabrication techniques.
- Proficiency with VB, Excel, database tools, GPIB equipment and product lifecycle management
- systems is required.
- Experience leading technical teams, mentoring junior engineers, and managing technical
- development projects is highly desired.
Contact: Mark Manz